We Have Moved

Pixel-Love is now at: pixellove.wordpress.com

A copy of the content remains here so links don't break, but everything is ported, so if you want to look through the archives we suggest you head over to the new site.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Games are seen as key part of modern culture by the BBC

Games could become a regular feature on BBC programme

The executive producer of BBC 2's The Culture Show has spoken to
"I would stand by the view that, for many people - who might be young and might not be gallery goers or great fans of opera - in important and valid ways, a videogame is culture. I think we should be as open-minded as that."

Morgan went on to discuss the way in which videogames have developed over the last three decades, stating: "What's been achieved in this area over my lifetime is completely revolutionary."

"Today they've come on light years, [offering] completely different experiences that are miles more vivid, is my sense of it. I think the most exciting question is, where will it be in 20 years' time? I can't begin to imagine - it'll be my children's generation who are shaping it."

When asked if videogames could become a regular feature on The Culture Show, Morgan replied: "I think they ought to be. I believe that gaming is a cultural activity, a part of the way people live, express themselves, enjoy themselves and relate to one another."

"Culture is a bigger, and more interesting category than just 'the arts'... I believe that gaming is a valid, lively part of British culture today, so yes, a programme that aspires to capture cultural Britain today should be covering areas that you cover, and that your readers get interested and turned on by."
The next edition of The Culture Show will be broadcast on BBC 2 at 7pm GMT this evening, and repeated at 11.20pm. To vote in the Great British Design Quest, visit the BBC website.

Go to GamesIndustry.biz to read the full article

No comments: